1.10.11

our song...

*UPDATE (10/3/11)*

Well, we have some pretty crazy news. On Sunday, Stephen had been screaming everytime his diaper was changed; we couldn't figure out why. I reached down to find something hard coming out of his bum. It was a CHUNK of styrofoam from a ball he apparently bit into, then swallowed. I don't know how in the world he was able to pass it. Intestinal blockage = no digestion = constant vomiting. All ER doc had to do was a simple X-ray, and they would have found that. He is doing amazingly better. We are not even sure if he had a stomach bug, as he has not vomited once all day today, not even spit-up!!! Please pray he gains weight back, he lost over a pound total. Thank you SO much to those who were praying!


*Original Post*



We have had a REALLY really rough week. Last Thursday, Stephen started acting like he felt bad, and that night he started throwing up around 2 a.m. or so. I thought maybe it was gas or he was just having a bad reflux day, but it kept happening. By Sunday, he was vomiting ridiculous amounts, more than he's thrown up (not spit-up) since way back in December before his first surgery to stop the reflux. He also started having watery bowls, so we took him to the doctor Monday who confirmed he had a stomach bug and it was going around. He was on nothing but Pedialyte after that. Thinking things were getting better, we stopped the Pedialyte after 24 hours and started back on some formula. The vomiting got worse, until he couldn't keep anything down, not even Pedialyte. Thursday we took him back to the doctor who said it was still just a stomach bug, and he gave us some nausea meds. That day he threw up 7 times, with large puddles of liquid on the floor everytime. :(

DH and I were scared sick so yesterday morning (Friday) I called Stephen's Ped. to tell him things weren't getting better, and he was getting ready to go out of town. So, I texted the Nurse Pract. who works with his surgeon at the hospital, and she said take him to the ER asap. At the ER he threw up again (and had already done so once that morning), and they gave him another kind of nausea medicine. They did a blood test, urine test and checked the rest of his body for anything unusual. The labs all came back normal and so they gave him some Pedialyte. He kept an ounce down after the medicine they gave him. They decided to let him go home and for him to stay on nothing but Pedialyte, with getting 1 oz. per hour (talk about exhausting). It has worked, although he has still vomited some. But at least dehydration is no longer a worry. He's lost 8 oz., but I know he'll gain it back! Last night was the first night we both slept all night since last week!

Please keep praying that the stomach issues go away and that he'll be able to have his formula again soon without anymore vomiting! We had the reflux under control for the most part (except when he's sick), but the vomiting is extremely scary with a reflux kid. He shouldn't even be able to vomit, but the reflux surgery he had to strengthen his esophogus hasn't worked like we thought it would. Over time the stitches usually do loosen, but the food is still supposed to stay down. His surgeon said if there's enough pressure and the child is sick enough, that food is going to come up no matter what you do.

Thank you for praying!

Anyway, this post is titled "the song" and I'll get to that. A few weeks ago, DH bought me the new Mat Kearney CD, which is extremely awesome. While listening to it, one song really stood out to me, called "Sooner or Later." Actually, the lyrics are so awesome, it made me cry, but its a really hopeful and uplifting song.

So, I decided that this was going to be me and Stephen's song. DH and I have a song, but Stephen and I didn't until now. Everytime I feel worried or want to cry, I put on the CD, and Stephen and I dance. I think he loves it too. :) Here is the song from YouTube so you can listen to it. The lyrics are underneath. Enjoy!





We’re all standing with our backs against the wall

Sooner or later
Waiting on a phone that never calls, at all
Heartbreak comes, rollin’ in like a storm
Sooner or later
Trying to swim but you’re sinking like a stone, alone

And I can feel fire in the night waiting here
Baby it’s like we’re walking on a wire through the fear
Take my hand, we’ll get there


Sooner or later, I swear
we’re gonna make it, we’re gonna make it,
Sooner or later, I swear
we’re gonna make it, we’re gonna make it


Milk and honey ’til we get our fill
I’ll keep chasing it, I always will


Sooner or later, I swear
We’ll make it there
Sooner than later


We’re all waiting on a dream that’s hard to own,
sooner or later
Trying to feel the high without the low, you know

You can feel fire in the night lying here
Baby it’s like we’re walking on a wire through the fear
Take my hand, we’ll get there


The fear inside,
the hills we’ve climbed
The tears this side of heaven,
all these dreams inside of me
I swear we're gonna get there

The fear inside,

the hills we’ve climbed (sooner or later)
The tears this side of heaven,
all these dreams inside of me
I swear we're gonna get there

I swear we’re gonna get there
Sooner or later

1 comment:

Kelly Efurd Lawson said...

Oh my gosh. That's crazy. Glad he's doing better. Styrofoam. Hmm. That was likely quite startling!