6.12.11

Jonah (minus the whale)...

I know its been awhile since I've updated! Life is as hectic as usual. The crazy weather changes (hot one day, freezing the next) have brought along some yuckiness for my sweet Stephen. He was sick for about 2 1/2 weeks, first with a virus, then a mild ear infection (doctor said he was happy it was the first infection in 3 months, and it wasn't even a bad one...thank you to our chiropractor and to warm garlic oil!), then a feeding tube infection. The tube infection was the worst part because he vomited alot. It hurt for him to be fed so he lost some weight too. 2 rounds of antibiotics later, he is doing much better. Plus he gained back all his weight!


We are now doing a partial blenderized diet with him also - meaning he is now taking some real foods blended into his hypoallergenic formula. So far, he has had no reaction to apples, pears, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, bananas (slight constipation with those), chicken, turkey, peas, spinach, strawberries, broccoli, mango, and oatmeal. Woohoo! This already means that there are plenty of things he CAN eat without a reaction, aside from the milk/soy protein intolerance. I am using either organic packets of baby food or making it myself. I like blending it myself better but since time is often limited, I do buy organic packets of food also.


Finally, Thanksgiving Day was a huge breakthrough for him with eating!!! At dinner that night, he had 15 bites of food by mouth! That is the most he's ever taken. I had to put the food in his mouth for him, and each bite was tiny tiny, but he ate it! We have been rejoicing because he has been doing great each day with trying to eat. I am SO SO SO SO SO SO SO proud of him!!!!!


A few days ago, a ministry that I follow on Twitter shared a YouTube video that a teen named Jonah made. I have no idea if Jonah was being for real or if it was just a ploy. Even if it was fake, it is a very real example of how many teens today are feeling. They are so lost. Everywhere they go someone is screaming a different message at them. I think this generation of kids and teens are experiencing a true identity crisis (though it has been in past generations also). It's even harder when you are the type of teen who isn't the football star or the homecoming queen. Bullying is at its worst and teen suicide rates have skyrocketed. In my hometown alone, the last 6 months has seen more students take their lives than you can count on 2 hands! The following video of Jonah broke my heart, but I think it needs to be seen by adults who are raising this generation of kids and the next.








I pray that this is something I will never see with my son. It is my deepest hearts cry that God would guide me in raising him to know who he is in Christ, so that he will want to serve Him wholeheartedly and live in His light.


I know I am not a perfect parent, and that Stephen is only 15 months old. But I am seeing way too many adults messing up kids' lives. I have chosen to not be a passive, blind, ignorant parent. There are already influences in Stephen's life that are working to take him out of God's hands, and I am refusing to let them win.


Parents, it's time to step up. Quit sitting around playing on the computer or doing your own adult thing all the time. Get your kids off of the computer and spend time with them. Don't shove your kids out the door or shove them into the next cool sport/club/activity. Get involved in your kids/teens' lives! Teach them the Word of God. LOVE them. Make life worth living in any way that you can, even if its just doing laundry together. Be creative. Get on the floor and interact! Have family dinners, talk about things, play games together and turn off the cell phones and the Playstations! Don't let your kids fall to the wayside because of your own ignorance and passiveness. Go to battle for your childrens' souls! Because whether you believe it or not, Satan is trying to win them over, and he's doing a good job of it.


"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."  ~ Proverbs 22:6 (New Living Translation, emphasis mine)

1 comment:

Cara Kuhl said...

Hi Sara ~ Thanks for your comment on the Cinnamon Pecan recipe! I thought this might be the best way to get back to you to ensure you saw my reply. I made these last year as part of gift baskets I put together, so we are of the same mind! I think they would do just fine if you made them a few days ahead of time. I've made them a couple days ahead, and have enjoyed them for a good week after that, so they keep pretty well! I hope this helps ~ and Merry Christmas!